Friday, March 13, 2009

Metrosharing is Legal


Yesterday, I emailed the MTA my question about MetroCard rules for sharing unlimited cards and I received an automated response telling me that I would receive an answer within 15 days.

Kudos to the MTA for responding in less than 24 hours.  Their response:

We appreciate your interest in using the MetroCard and the New York City public transportation system.  Unlimited Ride MetroCards are intended to be used by one person.  Therefore, please be aware that while you can give your Unlimited Ride MetroCard to someone else when you are not using it, this type of card cannot be used to pay for the fares of others you may be traveling with.

This morning, impatient for an answer and urged by a savvy friend to use my status as a blogger, I contacted the Public Affairs office of the MTA.  Charles Seaton asked me to send my question in writing.  Just a few minutes before I got the reply above, he replied:

Restrictions: Unlimited Ride MetroCard may not be transferred to another person until the completion of the trip for which entry was obtained... Can only be used by one person at a time.

-- From All about MetroCard

While I feel certain that metrosharing was not considered by the MTA when writing their rules, the rules from "All about MetroCard" leave no room for ticketing a metrosharer, who has completed his/her trip before transferring the card (momentarily) to another person.  The first response indicates the intent that unlimited cards be used by one person, which means that it is likely that Antonin Scalia would uphold a ticket for a metrosharer.  But I think the majority opinion would find that a metrosharer is acting within the rules, since sharer and sharee are traveling neither together nor at the same time.

Any comments?




No comments:

Post a Comment