Thursday, January 29, 2009

MTA Public Hearing in Brooklyn

Last night's hearing was an educational experience.  I learned a great deal about the inadequacies of the Access-a-Ride service provided by the MTA.  The MTA's plan is to double the fares to $6 per trip (!@#), while cutting bus services that are far more accessible to elderly and disabled riders than the subways, since so many stations lack working elevators.  If anyone has ideas for extending the concept of metrosharing more broadly to help more people get around, please comment.

I distributed many Metroshare flyers at the hearing and finally got my turn to speak at 11:35 pm. The response to the flyers was very positive, but the audience had dwindled by the time I got to speak.  

Thanks for all of the support.  Some people have emailed (metrosharing@gmail.com) to tell me about problems trying to post comments on the blog and to offer great suggestions for the campaign.  The technological aspects of blogging are an unfolding mystery, and I will work to respond to comments as well as emails.  All suggestions are most welcome.  I did, in fact, design a button for unlimited riders to identify themselves, but need to give more thought to distribution. I'll be out of NYC at the beginning of February, but will continue to work on this challenge.

Special thanks to agentprof, who helped load the logo today, and to my sister, who helped with its design.  There is much work ahead and all hands are needed aboard this campaign.  

Don't forget to share a swipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment